* Alabama, with back-to-back wins over Arkansas and Florida, is now No. 2, jumping over Oklahoma, which beat up another overmatched non-BCS, non-conference foe. The Sooners face Texas next week and maybe that will be a tougher test.
* Wisconsin made the biggest splash this week, rudely welcoming Nebraska to the Big Ten with a solid spanking. The Huskers, thus exposed, took a plunge down the ballot.
* While I'm not completely sold on Michigan, which has won all five games at home, there is a case to be made for the Wolverines to be in the Top 10. Its only close game has come against Notre Dame, which is a decent, if barely not a Top 25 team. We'll find out more about Michigan in the next two weeks when it travels to face Northwestern and Michigan State.
* It was probably a mistake to take Arkansas out of last week's poll after its blowout loss against Alabama. Should've considered the competition.
* New teams that made the ballot this week: Arkansas, Kansas State, Auburn, San Diego State.
* Conference-by-conference tally: SEC (6), Pac-12 (4), Big 12 (4), Big Ten (4), ACC (3), MWC (2), Big East (1), C-USA (1).