* I could not understand, for the life of me, how Virginia Tech could be ranked fourth in the Coaches' Poll. Fourth? A team that nearly lost to Duke and got shut out in the second half in a 14-10 squeaker? Incidentally, Stanford routed the same Duke team and is ranked a spot behind VT. I don't make that mistake here. I actually watch the games and pay attention, which is obviously not what most of these voters do.
* Oklahoma State's loss (to Iowa State) is far worse than Boise State's (to TCU). And OSU's best win (a nailbiter over Kansas State) is inferior to Boise's best win (a rout at Georgia). So why shouldn't Boise be ranked ahead of OSU?
* USC is the best two-loss team, after having beaten the the second-best two-loss team. The Trojans belong in the top 10.
* New teams that made the ballot this week: Baylor, West Virginia.
* Conference-by-conference tally: SEC (5), Big Ten (5), Big 12 (4), Pac-12 (3), ACC (2), C-USA (2), MWC (2), Big East (1), Independent (1).